30 September 2010

Goodbye to an Era


Life will never be the same again.

You know how I never know what to cook? (And I mean it, it's a struggle every single day). Well, my sad days of yet-another-sandwich-for-dinner are over. OVER. Because an angel named Yotam Ottolenghi disguised as a cookbook (and for the price of 25 EUR) arrived at my door last week. It's full of green, healthy, non-fuss, vegetarian dishes and I am convinced it'll make me live longer (if not longer, then at least healthier).

I've already tried out a few and they have been WONDERful. I highly recommend. You can buy one, for example, here (free worldwide shipping). If you are local, I'm also happy to lend it to you.

Yotam Ottolenghi is an Israeli who came to Britain, then teamed up with a Palestinian to create a highly succesful restaurant chain in London. I love that. His recipes are Middle Eastern with European influences.

[Note: the recipes use European measurements.]

... His column at the Guardian (with lots of free recipes).
... His website.

13 comments:

Franziska Patterson said...

Speaking of recipes I meant to get this to you forever ago. I just love this one, and it's definitely superfast and easy. I usually add to it some slightly sauteed zucchini or baked asparagus.

Here's the link.

http://veggie-terrain.blogspot.com/2008/03/lemon-garlic-pasta.html

Franziska Patterson said...

Oh, and I never reserve any water or roast the nuts, if you want to keep it really simple. And since I never have agave nectar I usually use just plain sugar.

Isa said...

lemon? garlic? (I even have agave nectar on hand from all my Babycakes escapades). THANK YOU!

Jude said...

I've wanted to try Ottolenghi forever! I may have to just satisfy myself with the recipes instead (fair enough :)).

Minna said...

uuuhh looks delicious !

merathon said...

will you translate them to american measurements for me?? looks yummy! you'll have to post your favorites once you start trying them out.

Nina said...

Sind da viele Zutaten in einem Rezept? Ich brauche es immer schön einfach. Für jedes Rezept neue Gewüre, Öle etc. anzuschaffen, die man dann nie wieder nutzen würde, kommt für mich auch nicht in frage. Ich bin da wirklich voll einfach gestrickt. Keine Zeit stundenlang rumzutüfteln. Aber lecker sieht es schon aus und gesund!

Signe said...

That looks like an amazing cook book :)
And now I am hungry and it's still an hour left until lunch, jaiks!

Isa said...

merathon, will do!

NH, guck mal auf der guardian Seite nach, da kannst du sehen ob dir das zu viel schnick schnack ist. Wer an die Kueche des Mittleren Ostens gewoehnt ist, der wird hier bei der Zutatenwahl nicht uebrrascht sein. (Ich hatte alle Gewuerze im Haus. Und Kraeuter und gemuese muss man ja eh frisch laufen).

Heli said...

does the rest of the family eat those, too? around here they're way too suspicious and or picky (hicky).

Isa said...

Heli, I have been surprised... yes, they have! (For example, they loved the leek onion fritters with creme fraiche dip.) I'll keep you updated as I'm working my way through the recipes.

Nina said...

Auf deutsch würde ich es mir kaufen, aber englischist mir zu kompliziert, wenn ich eh schon dabei bin die küche halb abzufackeln. Stell dir mein Kochverhalten einfach so vor, wie wir früher im Kunstunterricht gemalt haben. Alles ist danach dreckig (ich inklusive) und überhaupt herrscht ein einziges chaos. Deswegen wäre ein englisches Buch hier definitiv der Untergang ;). Sag mir bescheid, wenns auf deutsch raus kommt :D.

chaton de luxe said...

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! and have been making everyone jealous at lunch ever since I started making my lunches from this....enjoy!